Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Being transcends appearance

I was reading the book The Shack last week by William Young and I was struck by this conversation between Jesus and Mack. I find it very amusing... read on.

"Jesus?"
"Yes, Mackenzie?"
"I am surprised by one thing about you."
"Really? What?"
"I guess I expected you to be more," be careful here Mack, "uh...well, humanly striking."
Jesus chuckled. "Humanly striking? You mean handsome." Now he was laughing.
"Well, I was trying to avoid that, but yes. Somehow I thought you'd be the ideal man, you know, athletic and overwhelmingly good looking."
"It's my nose, isn't it?"
"I just thought you'd be better looking."
"By whose standards? Anyway, once you really get to know me, it won't matter to you."

I was laughing really hard when I first read this. But then it suddenly hit me, what Jesus said is true. When we really know a person we don't care if he's black or white, small or tall, fat or thin. What we see is the person behind the appearance - better yet, the soul beneath the body. In their conversation, Jesus said that it's plain and simple - being transcends appearance. That once we begin to know the being behind the very pretty or very ugly face, as determined by our bias, the surface appearances fade away until they simply no longer matter. Wonderful. Just wonderful.

Now I know why I am not very particular about a person's physical characteristics. It's because being transcends appearance.

No comments: